Merritt House was originally built in 1830. It was purchased
in 1852 by Juana Castro, the wife of Josiah Merritt and was used
as the couple's private residence. Josiah Merritt served as first
county judge from 1851-1854 and was active in organizing Monterey
County in 1881. A native of Orange County. N.Y. Merritt
practiced law in the East before coming to California in 1849.
He married Juana Castro, daughter of the alcalde (mayor) of Monterey
and they had five children.
The Merritt House
was developed into its present use in 1979 and is currently listed
on the National Register of Historic Places to preserve
its statewide significance. It is also listed annually in
the Monterey History and Art Association Adobe Tour held